Monday, January 29, 2007

Lemony goodness!

This blog has become rather liquor-centric. And I'm okay with that. I mean, really. There's not much else going on in my life. I'm not overly comfortable writing too many specifics about my teaching, so can't talk about that. I know everyone is dying to hear about the day-to-day dissertation stuff, but I just can't quite bring myself to tell you things, like the day that I found out Apollo was not really the god of the sun (and almost shit my pants). The rest of that day, I spent reading through classical Greek authors to learn about this travesty, etc.

See? Wasn't that exciting?

No, it wasn't.

So, I'm going to write about liquor. Which at least seems more exciting to me. And that's what counts.

Last week at TJ's, I bought some Meyer Lemons.

If you've never had them, Meyer Lemons are great because they are sweeter and less acidic than regular lemons. The only catch is that they have a very specific ripe season, and it's right now. Good luck finding them during the summer--believe me, I've tried. [I've recently found out they are good as container plants. This makes me want my own mini-lemon tree.]

Anyway, I bought said lemons, but in all the blood orange craziness I kind of forgot about them.

So, last night I made a Meyer Lemon Martini. mmmmm...

I used the recipe above, so I made 4 oz. of simple syrup and added the zest of 2 lemons. So, the drink is basically a couple oz. of the lemon-scented syrup, a couple oz. of lemon juice, and a couple oz. of vodka.

I think this should be added to the Bible:
On the sixth day, God made Meyer Lemons. The people made martinis from them. And it was good.

Since I have a 1 martini/evening limit (except for when the girls come over, then all bets are off), I could not try it with the basil vodka. That, my friends, is slated for tonight.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Aha! I always wondered when they were in season, but never bothered to google it myself. Sounds awesome. I live vicariously through your liquordom. Thanks! :) And that Apollo sh*t is whack.

Deetie said...

Thanks, Shaz. It was whack. He is known as the god of the sun after about the 5th c. and it was the Greeks who conflated him with Helios.

This is why I don't write about my diss. :)

Rebecca M said...

There are few things that are more interesting than liquor, but I have to say that Apollo bit was intriguing! Maybe I'll discover that Leonard Bernstein was neither gay nor Jewish---ok, probably not.

I love Meyer lemons and I want one of those martinis right now! Do you deliver????